It’s National Soup Month! Linda invited JL back into the kitchen to show two simple ways to add heart-healthy soy to your favorite soup! Watch the video and then try the recipes (below)!
Here’s Linda’s recipe:
- 2 tablespoons soybean oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups diced celery
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 3 cups peeled, diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 26- ounces canned tomatoes (or use Vitamix or high-speed blender to blend fresh tomatoes)
- 1-15 ounce can Black Soybeans, rinsed and drained
- 8 cups stock, chicken or vegetable
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons store bought pesto
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Program Instant Pot to saute. Add oil, heat. Add onions, saute. Add celery, carrots, squash and garlic. Stir for 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans, stock and bay leaf.
- Cover and program Instant Pot to slow cooker, high setting; cook until vegetables are tender.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Add spinach and pesto, heat until spinach is wilted.
- Taste; season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with crackers or crusty bread.
- Add 1 cup texture vegetable protein (will look like meat crumbles) or 1- 12.3 oz box silken tofu (adds creaminess) for added protein.
- use a chicken-style vegetable broth
- opt for two frozen ginger squares in place of fresh ginger
- add an inch of fresh turmeric root (peeled)
- serve with fresh cilantro and lime juice