We are big fans of the Instant Pot for making quick and easy meals.
Try this simple “one pot” meal for a quick and easy Asian-style breakfast bowl (it’s great for lunch or dinner, too).
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 8-ounce package tempeh
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups tightly packed leafy greens, such as baby spinach, Swiss chard and/or arugula
- Crushed peanuts, for garnish
- Splash of tamari or soy sauce, for serving (optional)
- Set the Instant Pot on the saute function, using the adjust button to increase to more heat. Add the sesame oil, onion, and carrot and saute for about three minutes. Add the miso and continue sauteeing until the miso becomes creamy and mixed well with the vegetables. Add the tempeh, crumbling with your fingers as you remove it from the package. Using a spoon crumble the tempeh while sauteeing. Do this for about 8 minutes. The tempeh should begin to resemble small beans (or meat crumbles). Add the brown rice and water. Turn the saute function off. Cover the Instant Pot, move the steam valve to sealing, press manual (high pressure) and adjust the time to 22 minutes. Allow for a natural release.
- Remove the lid. Stir in two cups of leafy greens. Prop the lid on the top of the pot, without sealing, for just a few minutes to allow the greens to slightly wilt.
- Serve in a bowl with crushed peanuts and a splash of tamari or soy sauce (if using).
- For a vegetarian version serve with a fried egg on top and meat lovers can add cooked chicken or shrimp.