As a recipe box project, Gail Bellamy has been adapting some of her grandmother’s and great-grandmother’s comfort food recipes by updating the retro aspects to be more in line with today’s ingredient preferences.
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoon Golden Vegetable Broth dry seasoning mix (or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes)
- 2 cups green peas (fresh or frozen) or edamame, cooked
- As needed, toasted slices of whole wheat bread
- In a saucepan, melt the margarine and stir in flour until it forms a roux. Add Golden Vegetable Broth and soymilk and simmer until mixture is thickened. If desired, add salt and pepper. Add warm peas and stir into cream sauce. Serve over whole wheat toast.
- You can use edamame instead of peas for an even more trendy version of this comfort food classic.